Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is that God I See?

Periodically I receive some really weird stuff through email. I know you do, too. But I'm not just talking about those forwards from that guy who just popped into your mind. I'm talking about some bizarre stuff--like stuff God told somebody to tell me so I could tell you.

Yesterday I got something from a prophetess. Her name is Linda Somethingoranother and on August 29 she received the following warning "...from our Saviour about a pending apocalyptic event: 'A Methane explosion and tsuami (apparently the prophetess doesn't have spell-check) is going to bring complete devastation to the entire Gulf region. Reports about a pocket of methane the size of Mount Everest near the Macondo well-site are true. Wide speculation about an enormous methane explosion is well founded."

At one point in the correspondence the prophetess goes on to say, “My Lord, these are the words that the Darth Vader look-alike speaks...." Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up!

While some of this stuff provides entertainment, there is an aspect of it that saddens me. Most of the people I know who are God-fearers would like nothing more than to hear from God, or see God, or somehow experience a breakthrough with God that assures them of His active presence in their circumstances. But because of people who are supposedly hearing from God through Star Wars action figures, we are less than confident of our interpretations of His activity in our spheres or his voice in our ears. Even if it turns out that a giant mountain of methane wipes out the gulf, I am going to struggle to believe that a Darth Vader-like character was the mouthpiece God chose to alert us. The sad part is that since Sister Somethingoranother is out there spreading her good cheer, we lose confidence in seeing and sharing God's work around us because we aren't interested in being associated with anything of the sort.

However, in my quiet time this morning God reminded me that He indeed still demonstrates His whereabouts and His activities to those who are watching. I was studying in the book of Zechariah, and in chapter 11 the prophet told the nation of Israel about a covenant God initiated with all the nations which was being revoked. In verse 11 he wrote, "It was revoked on that day, and so the afflicted of the flock who were watching me knew it was the word of the Lord." I am reminded of two important truths
  1. The afflicted should look for God because he is our hope.
  2. Those who look with the eyes of faith will see God.

Affliction has a way of forcing us to prioritize. When we experience pain or deficiency of the worst kind, we are compelled to eliminate distractions. The wise choice in pain is to prioritize God who is our one true hope. Through the true prophet Zechariah, God reminds us that when we look for Him through the eyes of dependent faith and hope, we will see Him and understand what He is doing.

Whether you are experiencing affliction or have been graced with a season of favor, let me encourage you to "watch" God today. Ask Him to show you exactly what He is up to. When he does, send me a note and tell me about it. As long as Darth Vader is not involved, stories of God's activity in the lives of His people always strengthen my faith.

On the lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment