Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Steps to Silence

So what are some steps we can take to enter into the soothing celebration of silence?  I've listed a few below.  Only a couple of these steps are original with me (see #3); the rest are a conglomeration of steps from different authors.  Here's the list.  Embrace, employ, and enjoy!

First, identify a time and physical space in which you can be alone on a regular basis. The ideal time would be when you are at your best with the least amount of worries, for me this is early in the day, before I have looked at my calendar.  The reason is because God desires and deserves your best.  The place?  Don’t be afraid to experiment, if one place proves too vulnerable to serve as a fortress of solitude, move on to the next spot.

Second, begin with a modest goal, especially if silence is a new practice for you. At the beginning of my journey, and even now in certain seasons, 10 minutes can be very challenging. But remember you're in training.  The more you train yourself in the exercise of silence, the further you will be able to go.
 
Third, pass through a metal detector on your way in.  (I know what you're thinking, of course this sophomoric rule is mine--but hear me out!)  If it dings, rings, beeps or buzzes, it’s not allowed. The devices that keep us connected to the world, keep us disconnected from God.  Silence demands solitude.  Besides, the world can run without you for a little bit--I promise. 

Fourth, settle into a comfortable and yet alert position.  Don't go to sleep!

Fifth, ask a simple prayer to express your willingness to meet God in the silence. Pray James 4:8, "Lord draw near to me as I draw near to you.Or maybe Psalm 46:10, “Lord help me be still and quiet before you that I may know you are God.”  Remember when we pray God's word in humility, we pray God's will.

Sixth, don't be discouraged by distractions; they are inevitable. When distractions come, simply let them go by, like clouds floating across the sky. When they pass, reorient yourself to your purpose by repeating the prayer that you have chosen.

Seventh, let God lead.  In my opinion every experience of silence and solitude should include a Word from God as found in scripture, and a prayer with God, speaking and listening.  Beyond that, let God lead.  Listen, laugh, weep, count your blessings.  Whatever God leads you to do, do it expecting that God is going to use this time to reveal himself to you and transform your life. 

Eighth, don't give up!  Don't ever give up!  I know it's cliche, but the benefits of silence before God far outweigh the costs.  For the sake of growing in Christ, and maximizing your potential for the Kingdom of God prioritize silence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment