Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Fast

Skycrest is fasting as a church. We are doing it to ask God to infuse our Easter Outreach Project (the feeding of the 400 families) and our Easter Worship Celebration with his grace. We are doing three, twenty-four hour fasts. It begins on Monday night after dinner and goes until Tuesday night at dinner. As we fast we are praying through Isaiah 58:6-12, a beautiful passage of scripture. Last week was easy. But today, uggghhh!

I'm struggling today. I don't feel good. I don't want to do it. I feel sort of tired and completely over it. Denying myself is just not my cup of tea.

I've been tempted to eat something and I could find a million reasons to eat, but the most understandable, the easiest self-sale is that I don't feel good and I'm having a hard time being productive. So I've been trying to talk myself out of eating by reminding myself that that I made a commitment, that I'm not a quitter because I finish what I start.

As I was going through all the reasons to stay the course, I realized that I was in danger of missing the boat altogether. I'm not doing this to keep myself from eating, I'm doing this to keep myself praying. So I'm not a loser if I eat, I'm a loser if I fail to pray.

So when I'm finished here I'm going to pray. I'm going to tell God how I feel. I am going to confess that usually I eat without gratitude. I am going to tell him how I count on food more than I count on him. Then I'm going to thank him for feeding me in spite of my sense of entitlement.

When I'm finished confessing, I'm going to ask him to help the spiritually and physically needy through me. I'm going to thank him that we are called to do something for the Clearwater Community that we couldn't do without him. I'm going to ask him to show up in an unmistakable fashion on the 1st and the 4th of April. Finally I'm going to ask him to give me success with the people he wants me to invite to church to celebrate Easter.

And then when I'm hungry I'll do it all again (I hope)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment